|Project by MsDebbieP||posted 07-24-2009 11:13 AM||3901 views||0 times favorited||28 comments|
This past week we purchased some grave vines and, once we got home and I had a look around, I decided that I didn’t have a perfect spot for them so we’d have to create one!
Several years ago the cloth gazebo that we had just purchased was damaged in a wind storm and I salvaged the corner panels to use in an arbour. Every year I say “I want to build the arbour this year” but other things always become more of a priority. This year was no different and the arbour again went onto the list for next year – that is until the purchase of the grapes!
A quick (well, it was quick for me, but Rick did the digging!) build and the frame was up. We added the old gazebo frames and that was that! Simple (yes, Rick – I know.. a lot of work for you!)
We left the four posts tall. These will be posts for more birdhouses.
I wanted a spot to sit in the arbour. Once we get grapes hanging we can just sit there and enjoy the produce. It’s also a nice space to sit and enjoy the front yard and all that Mother Nature has provided us.
I had four remaining cement blocks from a walkway (I have been stealing them for other purposes and there were just four left.) Four was the right amount to set under the bench to keep the wood off the ground.
The bench was the easiest and quickest project Rick and I have ever done. In less than an hour we had the bench completed and sitting outside.
At this time we have two Concord grape vines and one Niagara. (The sale was on 3 bushes – I still need to purchase a fourth one. We didn’t have a plan at the time of purchase so now we are one short.)
I also transplanted some hostas at one end and some… hmm yarrow? at the other. Hopefully they won’t mind the move and will fill in nicely for next year.
Now all that is left is to cut down that tree!! :D (Oh how I have wanted it out of there for years. Now I have the excuse. The grapes need sunshine.) Yippee
UPDATE Spring 2010
1. the rabbits got my vines this winter – chewed them off about a foot from the ground. I have wrapped them with chicken wire so that won’t happen again – but no grapes this year.
2. the tree remains – just not three of the branches. The birds love the tree and I just couldn’t cut it down so we have compromised: no branches by the arbour.
This year we have LOADS of grapes hanging from the vines and the vines have grown so much this year that we’re having to revamp the arbour.
We have added a section to both ends of the existing arbour, taking it out about 8 feet in either direction.
Using gardening velcro strips, we are slowly training all the vines to go up and over the arbour, leaving the walkways clear as well as the two side windows in the original sections.
view from the “thinking outside the inside of the window box” window
-- - Debbie, SW Ontario Canada (USDA Hardiness Zone: 5a)