|Project by HaroldCR||posted 05-20-2013 07:40 PM||1992 views||0 times favorited||9 comments|
Hi. Been extremely busy lately. For those that don’t know, I am Harold and live in Costa Rica. I posted in another area and probably it doesn’t get much traffic, so, I am putting my greenhouse-aquaponics set up in my projects area. I got a late start building the greenhouse, what with maintaining our small tree farm, and various other projects. My wife and I are starting out knowing nothing, and watching you tubes and reading websites.
Ok. First the green house. We have a sawmill, so, we built with wood for the first go round. Can always change things. We have lots of critters living in the ground here, so, it’s very difficult to have a garden, unless you spread lots of poison, which we don’t want. So, I set posts that will never rot, into the ground, and lag bolted uprights to them. The green house is 11’ wide X 15’ long. It has grow beds on 2 sides and the far end. Later on, I will add a center section of grow beds, leaving room to walk completely around without having to back track.
So far, we have $150.00 total in the structure including plastic sheeting, shade cloth, and staples, nails, lag bolts, etc. I had bought 2 12V bilge pumps, over 2 years ago, but, never got started. Also have a 12V pump for a boat wash down system, my Son donated to the project. For the immediate future, I have several battery chargers and a LOT of batteries to run the pumps. I also have the makings of 3 Solar Panels I need to build, for charging the batteries, or, running directly to the pumps during the day and charging at a much lower rate, once the batteries are topped off. Later on, I will build a wind turbine to charge batteries and heat water for the kitchen and shower in our house.
I need to start plumbing the beds, and, that will be a little more money. I have [plants started, and the whole mess is experimental. I have lost a few plants, but, I’m learning. I started out using spring water from our community water system. We use NO chemicals what so ever in the system. Water is real good quality, out here in the jungle.
I took a small container, added a small amount of commercial fertilizer, 15-15-15 and added what I thought was sufficient water to dissolve and dilute the mixture. So far, 2 weeks of tiny plants later, my biggest problem is over watering. I started all the plants in small peat pots, so I could control the thinning and separating of species. Therefore, they hold more moisture than I realized.
Later on, we will build a tank of some sort and add Tilapia, to it, for the fertilizing of the water for the plants. We are trying to get sufficient plants growing to cut down on store bought or outside stand bought vegetables. Things are steadily increasing in prices here, except for my meager pension funds.
Now for the photos. My construction skills are slipping. I used to do remodeling houses apartments and penthouses for the big money people. Now, my hands hurt after swinging hammers or pounding stuff, so, it shows in the finished products.