|Project by justjoel||posted 04-02-2013 11:57 PM||3370 views||0 times favorited||8 comments|
I wasn’t really sure what to do for this challenge, until this weekend. At first I was going to use my decision not to start my tomato seeds in the peat pods this year, just planting them directly in larger pots – but that didn’t seem like much of an “experiment” really, more of just a different plan, with nothing to compare it to this year.
Then I found that I had some Echinacea seeds left in the packet from last year, and seeds I’d saved from plants I grew from that packet of seeds. So, I’ve planted three pots with saved seeds, and three pots with seeds from the packet, two of each in 3 inch plastic pots, and one of each in a peat pot. They all were planted the same day, in the same starting mixture, and all six pots are heavily seeded, so I’m bound to get a couple of seedlings each.
You can see in the pictures that what I saved looks much different that what came from the packet – but I’m hoping it is just a matter of me not cleaning the chaff from the seeds, which wouldn’t happen in a “natural” re-seeding situation anyway, so I’m hoping for the best (would hate to discover I just saved dried flower petals).
The plants from last year are coming up again in the herb/tea garden area, which I’m very pleased about since I didn’t get much in the way of flowers from them last year (I was a bit late as usual), so I imagine they’ll do better this year – if I can keep the mint from taking over. I spent an hour the other day just digging up the rhizomes, or whatever they’re called, that were spreading out several feet from the original planting area.
-- "We are stardust. We are golden. And we've got to get ourselves back to the garden." Joni Mitchell