|Project by MsDebbieP||posted 11-24-2012 07:31 AM||3690 views||0 times favorited||10 comments|
In the spring of 2011 I purchased a little cumquat plant at a local nursery, more for fun and curiousity than with any intention of getting edible fruit from it. Last fall I got my first fruit and then, surprisingly, I had some “fresh” fruit throughout the winter!
This year, the plant of course is getting bigger and producing more fruit. Now, with so many ripe at the same time, I had to find something to do with them besides popping the little pucker powers into my mouth one at a time.I found two recipes of interest:
Since the pickled version looked like a lot less work, that’s the way I went.
The recipe called for a pound of fruit and little research indicated that that would be about 24 cumquats. I had that many! Woo hoo.
I followed the directions, cutting them up and removing the seeds …. more trees in my future I do believe!
And in the end I had 1.5 pints of pickled cumquats.
Silly me sterilized pint jars in stead of 1/2 pints, which would have been oh so much more convenient, but such is life.
first taste—eye watering. The cumquats along with the vinegar is way too much.
More sugar please!!
-- - Debbie, SW Ontario Canada (USDA Hardiness Zone: 5a)