|Project by MsDebbieP||posted 07-26-2012 at 01:30 PM||1595 views||0 times favorited||15 comments|
Storing water for my gardens has been an ongoing project since I started “serious” gardening efforts.
At first it was just to reduce the use of our well water and the need to drag out the garden hose. The past couple of years, which has brought a very dry month of July, takes the desire to store water to a whole new level. No longer is it just a matter of convenience or an additional “green” strategy – it is potentially a matter of survival, if only for that of the plants. With the goal of growing my own food, however, the “survival” of my family increasingly relies on water storage.
Over the years I have gathered several rain barrels and this has been very helpful, regarding watering the gardens but after several weeks of dry weather and the rain barrels emptying it is clear that there is a danger that what I have set up is not enough.
Last year I created a “grey water” system that collects the water from daily showers, providing a lot of water for garden use. This has been a blessing in the past week or so as everything un-watered was gasping the last breath. But… because of the location of the grey water barrels in relation to the plants that are a high priority for watering, there is a lot of bucket carrying and, being a lazy gardener, this isn’t very efficient. So—thinking cap on!
Checking out ideas at LeeValley.com I found a plastic reservoir that stores 95 US Gallons of water. It can be set up 70 feet from a downspout. At first I thought that I’d make a little trailer for the reservoir and then, using the lawn tractor, haul it around the yard and water plants as needed.
Then, after contemplating the 70’ idea, I thought that perhaps I could set up the reservoir at my blueberries and bury the hose underground so that it wouldn’t be in the way of the lawnmower. I would then connect the reservoir to a dripline system set up in the blueberry area. This should work. A bonus would be that I’d have a seating area in that part of the yard. Nice.
So, the reservoir was purchased and arrived this morning.
And then Rick had a thought: ”Would the soapy water clog up the dripline holes?”
I think he is right. So the plan has changed.
The Current Plan
- set up the reservoir, as a bench, by the blueberries (and tomatoes)
- connect it to a downspout
- if it works really well I can add a second reservoir
- the “grey water” would be used for plants close by and maybe I can still rig up a “trailer” idea for plants far from the house
We now have to build a bench to hold the reservoir and dig a little trench to the house, to bury the hose.
Updates to the Project
We now have the reservoir set up and full of water. (Of course we are now getting lots of rain and I won’t need it but next year it will be a treasure)
Picture 2: the rainwater diverter on a downspout at the house. Water is diverted to a rainbarrel.
Picture 3: water is directed through the rainbarrel and out the garden hose at the bottom. Once the reservoir is full the hose can be shut off and the rainbarrel filled.
Picture 4: the reservoir “bench
Picture 5: although you can’t really see it because of the plants, the bottom tubes are the connections to the incoming garden hose on one side and to the driplines. On the top, the white hose, is the overflow. When the reservoir is full the water must drain out as fast as it is going in or the the plastic bladder will explode apparently.
Picture 6: The reservoir, full of water. 65 gallons of water.
I haven’t set up the driplines because I would just have to take it all apart to store it for the winter, without having needed it. So that will have to wait until next year.
-- - Debbie, SW Ontario Canada (USDA Hardiness Zone: 5a)