|Project by MsDebbieP||posted 06-21-2012 06:29 AM||1271 views||0 times favorited||19 comments|
In 2008 I planted my first Hardy Kiwi plant.
I attached an old railing to two birdhouse posts (old telephone poles), creating a trellis for the vines to climb on.
The plant came with a cluster of fruit on it and in the fall I “harvested” a handful and was excited to taste the delicious fruit. Yummy. I couldn’t wait for next year.
In 2009 I added three more plants, but alas no fruit. Also, it’s important to note that I had removed the burlap wrapping in early May but the cold snap we received after hit the plants hard.
In 2010 it didn’t look like the vines were going to grow at all but apparently they hung on. They were perhaps still recovering from the damaging frost the year before.
My records for 2011 show that I had seen some kiwis on the vines but they disappeared during the summer, having been eaten or dropped off “naturally”.
This spring, after a mild winter, the vines are flourishing. I have two really healthy vines and one that is hanging in there.
Earlier this week I mulched the one side of the vine area with straw, trying to control the bindweed infestation. The other side of the trellis is full of violets and since I didn’t have enough straw to cover the area, I just left them uncovered.
The straw should help with keeping the moisture in the ground during the upcoming summer months, as well as help control the bindweed (and morning glories) that tend to climb other plants.
Yesterday I was checking for bindweed and I was surprised to find a cluster of healthy looking fruit on the one vine. Maybe, just maybe, I’ll get another handful of kiwi fruit this year.Picture 1
- kiwi fruit, June 2012
June 26/12: all the little kiwis have fallen off :(
Maybe next year…
-- - Debbie, SW Ontario Canada (USDA Hardiness Zone: 5a)