I still had a large cabbage to do something with and since we LOVE the coleslaw, a second batch was the plan!
I also had picked my crabapples last week and finally had time to can them up.
19 pints coleslaw
I had difficulties finding a recipe that used the steamer so I meshed the found recipes with that of my pepper jelly that I made last week – they were very similar instructions.
1. wash the crabapples and cut in half (removing any “ugly” parts)
2. put crabapples in top of steamer/juicer and steam for one to 1.5 hours
3. measure collected juice
4. stir in the same amount of sugar or sugar replacement
5. although it says that the crabapples don’t need added pectin, if not over cooked, to be safe I added 3 tbsp non-sugar pectin, (left over from the pepper jelly)
6. bring to boil and stir at full boil for 3 minutes
7. ladle into hot, washed jars
8. process in hot water bath for 10 minute.
12 pints crabapple jelly
-- - Debbie, SW Ontario Canada (USDA Hardiness Zone: 5a)