”Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers”
and MsDebbieP canned them .. all 7 quarts of them.
I’ve never canned up peppers before; I’ve always put them in the freezer (which is so easy).
I have also never really eaten pickled peppers before other than whatever they got tossed into. This spring, however, one of the farmers gave Rick a jar of his pickled peppers and I gave them a try. They were nice, not hot and not too pickle-y. And I used them in sandwiches, salads, and a number of other dishes. They were really handy and tasted like hmmm peppers! As opposed to mushiness that comes with freezing/thawing.
Now, I have 7 quarts of peppers to use throughout the winter months.The Recipe
1. wash sterilize jars
2. prepare vinegar solution (bring to boil)
- 12 c vinegar
- 4 c water
- 3 tbsp pickling salt
- 2 tbsp sugar (optional)
- 1 clove of garlic per jar
3. wash and cut peppers into 4-5 strips
4. fill sterilized jars with peppers
5. fill jars with vinegar solution, leaving headspace
6. hot water-bath for 20 minutes (quarts) or 15 min.(Pints)
NOTE: the upload flipped my photo again … oh well, you get the picture.
-- - Debbie, SW Ontario Canada (USDA Hardiness Zone: 5a)