Do you remember my greenhouse adventure? Of course you do—unless you hadn’t read it in the first place. If you have read it before you are probably still chuckling. I just read it again and was laughing out loud—again.
So the update was that I had to take it down for the winter so that the wind and snow didn’t destroy it. But.. there was absolutely no way it was going to go back up again. If I thought things were “close” the first time, well things weren’t even in the near vicinity of where things were supposed to be. And so it got tossed into a corner somewhere out of sight.
And that, I thought, was the end of the story, other than eventually taking it to the dump.
But it’s not the end of the story, no, no, no….
This week, the middle of August, we have had some very cold nights and I’m sure that my new Meyer’s lemon does not appreciate the temperature drop. Actually, I don’t think it has really enjoyed the entire summer and neither has my cumquat plant. The lemons on the lemon “tree” are still dark green and the cumquat had only about 2 flowers on it and it is usually covered and smelling delicious. We had a short spell of severe hot but around that has been cold nights and warm days.
So, here we are in mid-August, with still lots of summer season to go and I need some night time protection for these tropicals. Hmmm I have the greenhouse ….
I went to the hardware store and bought 4 (6’) metal fence posts and hammered them into the ground in the tipi area. I put a plant pot on each of the posts, to protect the plastic, and then just slipped the greenhouse over top. The greenhouse has a built in arched frame for the front and rear section. It worked but needed a wee bit more support … so I used a pvc pipe left over from my blueberry patch to support the centre.. success!
I then took an old tarp and put it down as a floor (to keep the bindweed from taking over like it did before as well as to fill in the gaps between the walls of the greenhouse and the ground. It’s now ready to go. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get the zippers working again (they stopped working soon after it was put up the first time.)
That was MUCH easier than the first experience!
I’ll get a picture and add it later.
-- - Debbie, SW Ontario Canada (USDA Hardiness Zone: 5a)