I have been meaning to post this since last summer, but as always, life is busy. For mother’s day, my kids wanted to build my wife a water garden, complete with a fountain and water plants. We found a plastic pot, filled it with water and went down to our local garden center to pick out some water plants and a fountain. We found a little turtle fountain for the pot, sadly that 1st winter I forgot to bring it indoors. When everything froze the left over water in the turtle expanded a...
I have been into gardening my whole life. I credit my love of gardening to my grandfather, who always had a huge backyard garden. As a kid, it was a big deal to help grandpa plant his garden every spring, and then go back in the summer to help him harvest it and help grandma can green beans. Therefore, I wanted to build a cold frame to help get my little garden to produce what my grandfathers did. You can read about how I went about building my first cold frame and a mistake I made...
This is my wonderful source of foraging. I’m lucky to have Amber Westfall living very close and have been fortunate enough to attend one of her ‘plant walks’.Most of what I know about foraging plants in this area has come from her.This is her introduction to her weed eating addiction :
I have delayed putting the final touches on the blog, as I wanted to make sure the GH was finished before I finished the write up. The doors, both ends of the GH are identical. This will lend itself to my plans for next years garden and ease of access for watering the plants in the greenhouse. I started looking at the cost of lumber for the doors and ended up deciding that cost was too great, so I ripped a 2×4 into 3/4 inch pieces, the pieces were 3/4” x 1 1/2” x 8R...
Well the structure is pretty much completed, now to cover it. Because of my money situation, I was going to use plastic. All the plastic I found was between translucent and opaque, leaning toward opaque. I did not build this greenhouse to be opaque. I did put up one end on the greenhouse and here’s how it looked. Am I to build a mancave or what? I spend the next two weeks trying to find an acceptable alternative. I had seen vinyl, but none of the greenhouse places mentioned vinyl...
What a relief it was to get the end walls up and sturdy enough to go to the next step. The next step was to install the 2×4 joist hangers and mount the ridge board. The board that got mounted ended up being slightly bowed upward. I think it originally was sagging, but then when I redid the end framing, it got turned over and became a high spot. Next was to build the rafters which were to connect to the ridge board. I used three kreg screws to join the two pieces together. One of t...
Is anyone following this blog? Well, I have begun to realize that there is an error in the roof line. I have noticed that the right half of the roof extends about 1/2” further than it should. Well there was two options, take the right half of the roof all apart, so I can make the adjustments needed, but it would be difficult to really determine how much to cut off on each side. Taking apart and reassembling will weaken the joints a bit. So I have decided on option two, to space the righ...
As the greenhouse gets further along, the project get a bit more exciting. I have sectionalized the top end wall. it will be put together in two pieces. I am hoping there have not been any mistakes in Ana White’s schematic drawings. Here’s what the end wall is going to look like. This part of the project is divided into two pieces, a left and a right piece. I put them together in the drawing. I have used some screws to toenail the pieces together and have also used metal ra...
Build your compost pile right where you use it – in the middle of your garden, with a keyhole garden.
After some delays, I have completed the end walls, I am about ready to assemble the base of the Greenhouse. But first I want to show you what I did. I have made some changes to the original design. I broke the endwall into 3 pieces. One to make it easier to move out to the location of the greenhouse and Two, to fix a couple problems with the original design. The pieces will be put together with exterior screws. As I was putting the sections together, I ran into problems with the pie...
- MsDebbieP - 865 entries
- Bon - 161 entries
- Scott Hildenbrand - 150 entries
- Brat Princess In The Garden - 130 entries
- Iris43 - 81 entries
- Radicalfarmergal - 77 entries
- XploreOrganics - 76 entries
- chscholz - 74 entries
- Michal Bulla - 72 entries
- davidc61 - 66 entries
- GrandmaT - 62 entries
- justjoel - 60 entries
- daltxguy - 57 entries
- Eklectic - 57 entries
- Weedwacker - 51 entries
- mario1360 - 50 entries
- Cindy - 39 entries
- NavyCop68 - 34 entries
- gardenmentor - 33 entries
- Dahlitsa - 33 entries